Monday, November 7, 2016

CDC tool 'Trashflies style'


Well now. I like to tie CDC flies. They just have a action and performance that can't be matched with other materials.
But
CDC can be a pain in the butt to work with, Some years ago I found out there was a tool for the taming of the feather from a ducks (well you know).
I bought one online. I keep it in a special spot when not in use. It's a work horse on the bench during comparadun tying, It was kinda hard to find. 
Well here's a Trashflies alternative. If you want to make one.


***
Materials:
3 T pins
Disposable ink pen
Cutters
Pliers
Knife or cutter

***

Steps
1.
Cut the T off three T-Pins
2.
Disassemble a used up cheap ball point pen.
3
Remove the ink tube
4
Cut off a piece of the tube. (where the ink wasn't)
5
Push the pins into the tube
6
Push the pins and the tube segment back into the tip holder
7
Cutt the pen body to desired length
8
Work some CDC

Note:
You catch the stem of the CDC feather between the needles. Hold the butt end. Turn the tool. Stoke the fibers forward, Slip off. The fibers are bunched and the stem is clumped. Tie in the clump. Clip the stem off.


'Stay Clever and Trashy My Friends'

Dedicated to my son, Bailey. I Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment