Saturday, February 5, 2011

Frank Sawyers Pheasant Tail Nymph

I have been interested in those flies we consider 'standards'. Fly patterns that grace every fly shops bins and catalogs selection. Patterns that are just taken for granted in stocking a fly box or having a discussion about the flies that get fish, These earn their place by that, they catch fish. Frank Sawyers originated one such pattern. The Pheasant Tail Nymph or commonly called the PT catches loads of fish. Just an awesome pattern with the qualities that imitate mayflies of all types. Mr Sawyer's pattern though has some difference. The modern PT has several steps and materials that make up the fly fisherman's image. The original pattern is a two material fly. Elegant in it's simplicity.

Here's my take on the Sawyer's PT
IMGP3400.jpg Sawyers PT

Hook: #16 DiRiki Nymph
Wire: Copper wire from a discarded lamp
Tail, Thorax, Wing Case: Pheasant Tail

In this account of the pattern I found the wire was that from a relay coil. LINK


It's a true shame the audio was lost.

A friend pointed out in the video that Mr. Sawyer's vice was clamped to the chair arm. That made me smile a bit. I believe if he and I had crossed paths I would love to have fished with him or just sat down on the river bank and discussed fishing and tying.

2 comments:

  1. Cool idea for a blog. I found it today through OBN. I like it. In fact I will hit the "follow" button right now. =)

    The Average Joe Fisherman
    http://averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete